"My husband and I have bought and sold several luxury homes in multiple markets from DC, to Denver and finally to Paradise Valley. In our opinion our agent, Lisa Goldman, is THE BEST OF THE BEST! If we were to ever consider selling and buying I wouldn’t use any other agent." - Gary & Leslie Fox
Considerations When Buying Your Home
As the old saying goes, the three most important factors in real estate are location, location, location. There are a number of considerations when picking which location in Scottsdale that may be right for you. These include:
- Budget for how much home can you afford to buy. This will help you narrow down possible locations based on affordability.
- Will you be commuting in and out of Scottsdale / Phoenix for work?
- Will you be living in Arizona during the summer?
- Do you like to frequently go out for dinner and nightlife?
- What kind of community activities, events, lifestyle do you desire?
- Where are the best public school districts to live in?
- What areas are likely to provide the highest value and investment appreciation potential?
- If you are looking for a second home purchase, how much maintenance will your home require when you are gone?
KNOWING WHEN TO BUY
Other considerations include WHEN you decide to buy your Scottsdale home. Typically, the best months to buy are right after the December holidays and during the summer months when your potential competition is the lowest. Offers made earlier in the month and on Tuesdays also tend to put you in the best position to negotiate for the best prices.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Make sure you consider all possible fees associated with a potential home. Some communities can charge dues and HOA fees that rival the property tax payments of many homes in the valley so make sure to read the fine print on each listing.
- The best investment properties are commonly the least expensive homes in the best neighborhoods - not the other way around. Remember that land is the only thing that appreciates in real estate so invest in your location first.
- How is your home positioned relative to the sun? Yes, in Scottsdale the sun is a consideration because it can have a huge impact on how you may use your property, pool, yard and when. Moreover, it will also impact what kind of protection your home may require as well.
- Make sure you use a real estate agent that is a good negotiator. Buying a home can be a very emotionally charged experience and you need somebody who will help you negotiate the best outcomes of the process. There are many considerations that a good agent may help you better negotiate a better price with including your credit score, down payment, timing, and willingness to walk away from a negotiation.
If you want to sell your Scottsdale home or are new to the area and want to find a next home in Scottsdale, please contact me today to get a free market analysis and needs analysis...